Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Hard~Rocks & Dress Rehearsal

Part of my morning ritual entails reading various headlines; I seem to bypass war and political headlines. My eye prefers headlines that refer to slightly vague subjects. As a New York transplant I probably see the New York Times webpage at least 20 times a day. This morning the following words poked my curiosity: "Adiós for a Spanish Hotel Where They Dressed to Kill"; partially because I found the use of 'Adiós' slightly patronizing and also because I was curious to see what hotel was closing down. The content of the article provided some interesting information.

As it turns out the Hotel Reina Victoria in Madrid, near Plaza Santa Ana, is the subject at hand. For the past sixty years Spain's most famous matadores have been using it to dress in it before a bullfight and it has become a part of their highly ritualized culture. This summer it will reopen as the new Hard Rock Hotel Madrid. I know, unbelievable. The traditional decor will be replaced by modern high-fashion decor, and most likely so will the clientele.

I'm sure the new hotel will look amazing, but it would have been better if the change had also incorporated some of the aspects of the original structure. Change is inevitable and it does not necessarily have to be bad, but in this case I am not a fan because though I am not a diehard preservasionist there is something to be said about tradition and sense of respect and acknowledgement for the accomplishments of the past.

No comments: