Monday, April 24, 2006

Frigid Monsoons

Today as I was walking to work, and as I walked in the frigid monsoon that was hitting the Morningside Heights (and the rest of New York City) this morning I wondered: Are buildings in certain parts of the world with more rain fall cleaner than buildings that are located in cities that get less rain fall?

I pondered on the question and then as I sat in a conference room waiting for a meeting to start and engaging in small talk with the top design and construction executive at my job it dawned on me that I should ask him the rain question that was lingering in my mind. From his expertise he said that it really does not make a difference unless it is limestone facade. Apparently (rain) water is a natural cleanser for limestone and apart from this particular material there is really no significant difference because though it may be thought that the water would clean the facade it may also be transporting pollutants that counter affect any of the water's cleansing properties.

Wow, pollution, it had not crossed my mind when I was thinking about the question, but as he was saying it all I could think was, good point!


His answer was a real eye opener, I have always thought of myself a very environmentally conscious person. I grew up in San Diego, a city where if you liter you can be charged a $1000 fine. But when I was living there you wouldn't ever think of littering, San Diegans would literally make the culprit regret their action. You just did not do it; everyone was a tree hugger. Bottom line is that you don't litter, you wait till you get to a trash can. Otherwise you will be socially reprimanded or fined. Unfortunately this has changed, now I would say it is a little different, more people have moved in from different parts of the country and it has become a lot harder for the natives to regulate the new inhabitants.

I guess since I feel like I am constantly trying to do 'my part' I take pollution for granted. I think that it only affects health, clean air and that is just all around awful, but still I forget (and do not know) about all of its negative implications. This subtle example of rain water not functioning as a natural cleanser for more than just limestone facades is a reminder of how much pollution affects our daily lives.

1 comment:

Joaquin "The Rooster" Ochoa said...

In the words of Ron Burgandy...Stay Classy San Diego.