Thursday, December 01, 2011

Mexico the New G-20 Chair & Other Interesting Country Specs

I'm writing a paper on Mexico City's Metrobus. I won't necessarily be able to include some of the facts I find in my study, but they are quite interesting not to share and leave them buried in the google search abyss.

One of the more interesting facts I came across is on the IMF site: "Mexico takes over as Chair of the G-20 on December 1 (Today) and will assume a major role in forming the policy agenda for the G-20 in the next 12 months." Go Mexico...Viva Mexico!

In my opinion this raises the stakes higher for the upcoming presidential election in Mexico in  July (2012). Interestingly, today (especially in the US press) there hasn't been much news about Mexico assuming this power role in world politics. Two weeks ago, the Guardian did have an article that does not support President Calderon's soon to be position. Though, Calderon does seem to be doing the most he can to get some stage time from the G20 role, there is only so much he can do to use the position to help his party, the PAN, to win the upcoming presidential election.

On a different note, the BBC doesn't take much mercy on Mexico and just puts out how they really feel on their Country Profile of Mexico. They start off with the bold heading: "Mexico is a nation where affluence, poverty, natural splendour and urban blight rub shoulders." It is hard to disagree with their statement, even though I'm sure many government officials would say that the government is trying to lessen income inequality throughout the country. However, the gap still remains and the BBC's statement holds true.

One fact that I would contest is their assessment of the country's major religion. Sure Catholicism is a derivative of Christianity, but as a Mexican-American, I still, like many in Mexico think of Mexico as a "Catholic"country not a Christian one. Just saying, small clarification.

A bigger fact and more amusing fact is one highlighted by the US State department: Mexico is 7th largest oil producer in the world and second largest supplier of oil to the US. This fact makes me laugh because earlier this year a few people asked me what is it that Mexico produces and when I said oil, they were surprised, at which point I repeated: "Yes, Mexico produces a lot of oil and the US buys a lot of it."

No comments: