Thursday, June 09, 2011

Former Gang Members Changing the Discourse

This whole week the Institute of the Americas in San Diego brought together key law enforcement players from the public and non-profit sectors in Latin America for a training on Community Crime Prevention. 


Today as I sat in on panel discussion from the Los Angeles Sheriff's Department, law enforcement consultants and former gang members. I couldn't help be but moved and inspired by the stories of the two ex-gang members. They have changed their lives and are now helping bring a new sense of help and hope to their communities. 


It's amazing what desire for change and determination can do to help us push through hard times. It is my guess that at one point they had to make a decision to continue their lives as they were or choose life over violence. 


They changed their life around and as happy as I am for them I can't help but feel a bit spoiled since to date I have fortunately have not had to choose between life and death. I am grateful that my perspective has been enriched by hearing about their experiences and the great collaboration that is happening in Los Angeles between the police department and the community.

No comments: