Thursday, March 11, 2010

Las Vegas - What is an American City?

In the current book that I am reading, Poker Face, by Katy Lederer I found a very real everyday feeling about American cities, there is something so raw and un-PC about it that I felt compelled to share...

The book was given to me as a Christmas present in 2003 by one of my roommates at the time, and until recently I had been reluctant to read it or give it away... and a month ago while I was packing and getting ready to move out of my place in LA, it was finally time for me to start reading the book. It's a great bildungsroman novel, one of my favorite genre's. It has been a very pleasant surprise with some interesting observations on life and the road to self-discovery.

The commentary that I felt so compelled to share was one on American culture and a take on one of America's most famous cities that many countries try to imitate, ironic considering the roots of Las Vegas. Though Las Vegas is not as "cheap" as it might have been in the 1990s (the time that Katy first encountered Las Vegas), I couldn't help but nod in agreement with the raw truth behind Katy's take on Sin City...."Las Vegas: the most American of American cities - bright and cheap and all dolled up, like a drag queen - a city of hope!"

No comments: