Saturday, May 10, 2008

Under Construction the New LA Police Headquarters…

"Bad Boys, Bad Boys whatcha gonna do when they come for you?" What are you going to do when you have to go to the new police headquarters currently under construction in downtown Los Angeles, because it is a despicably hideous structure? It is an absolute disgrace not just financially because of the incompetent and thieving construction managers and contractors they have hired, but also aesthetically.

I was driving by the site last week and noticed the glass facade, which is the only part that really merits any architectural grace. But as I took the whole structure in, I noticed that it is just simply gross.

My intent is not to offend, but certain things just don't make sense to me. For instance, how can any respectable architect design something like this? The contrast of the glass facade with the light peachy stone facade is awkward and clearly not the best choice.  The mistake here is obvious, the stone's use and color encroaches on the refined beauty of the pattern.

Or even worse how can a client planning committee approve something with these characteristics? What kind of taste does the Mayor and his team have? What about the police commissioner, how does he feel about this atrocious building?

Personally, I am ashamed that my tax dollars have to go towards something like this. Buildings cost a lot of money and for the cost of this project they could have done something much nicer, they should seek real professional help, they should hire me as their aesthetics consultant and I know more citizens will be happy with how government spends everyones well-earned tax dollars.

No comments: